$627,500 in Scholarships Awarded Since 2000
As part of our commitment to support the education of the members we serve, Medina EC awards scholarships to members who have a high school senior graduating or are adults pursuing higher education. The number and amount of scholarships vary annually.
Since scholarships were first awarded in 2000, Medina EC has awarded $607,500 for higher education to 423* members. The program is funded by unclaimed capital credits. When capital credits remain unclaimed for three years, they are escheated back to the State of Texas. The state can then give a portion of that money back to the cooperative, which they have done in the past. These funds are used to fund the scholarship program, energy efficiency rebates and area economic development activities.
For 2021, the board approved awarding twenty $1,000 scholarships. Four of those will be for adults pursuing higher education and sixteen for high school seniors. Applications were due by March 5 at 11:59 p.m. Winners will be announced in April.
Medina EC awarded 20 $1,000 scholarships
- 16 scholarships for high school seniors (including home school and GED graduating seniors)
- 4 scholarships for adults pursuing higher education
Congratulations to our 2021 Winners!
Abel Ramirez, Laredo
Abigail Cabrera, Zapata
Andrew Zapata, Bigfoot
Aubrey Chernak, Hondo
Austin McClarin, Hondo
Blake Mulvany, Castroville
Dale Dzierzanowski, Devine
Daniel Ingram, Castroville
Devin Myers, Mico
Gregory Alex Magers, Hondo
Hailey Manka, Natalia
Kaden Lentz, Hondo
Kolten Lentz, Hondo
Lauren Shafer, Pearsall
Luke Lessing, Hondo
Madison Ainsley, Hondo
Morgan Weynand, Hondo
Natallie Gonzalez, Rio Grande City
Nicole Marquez, Santa Elena
Shelton Luedke, Hondo
1. Parent, legal guardian or applicant must be a member of Medina EC.
- The electric account must be in the name of the applicant or the applicant’s parent or legal guardian.
- If relationship is anything other than parent or self, paperwork may be required showing that the member is the legal guardian of the applicant.
- If the membership is held by a non-natural person or entity, only the designated voter or his/her dependents are eligible.
2. If applying for the High School Senior Scholarship, you must be less than 21 years of age on the application deadline and be graduating in 2021.
3. If applying for the Adult Scholarship, you must be less than 64 years of age on the application deadline and have graduated from high school before 2021:
- If less than 25 years of age, the membership account must be in your name, or your parent/legal guardian’s name.
- If 25 – 64 years of age, the membership must be in your name (the applicant).
4. Applicant must:
- Have at least a 3.0 grade point average at their current or previous educational institution (high school, junior college, university, technical school, etc.).
- If High School Senior or adult who is currently enrolled in school, applicant must submit transcript with grades from Fall 2020 semester of the 2020/2021 school year
- Plan on attending a recognized institution of higher education to pursue a certification, associate degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.
- Enroll in a recognized institution of higher education within 12 months of being awarded the Medina EC scholarship, or by the spring 2022 semester.
- Use the scholarship within 12 months of being awarded the scholarship, or by the spring 2022 semester.
5. Previous Medina EC scholarship recipients are not eligible, unless the scholarship was a result of a Medina EC Youth Tour prize.
Eligibility is subject to change each year.
Yes. Scholarships are available for students pursuing secondary education at universities, community colleges, and trade schools.
Scholarship applications and transcripts were due on March 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.* Winners will be announced in April.
*Technical support will not be available outside of normal business hours. Encountering technical issues turning in the application on the last day will not be grounds for an extension.
The photo submitted with your application will be used in multiple places if you are chosen to receive a scholarship, including this website, Texas Co-op Power and any future promotion of the scholarship program. Without a photo or appropriate photo, your application will be considered incomplete.
Acceptable photos include school pictures, senior pictures or headshots.
Examples of a proper photos:
Please do not submit selfies, Snapchat photos, photos with an obvious filter or a photo of a photo (ex: driver’s license or school ID).
To claim your scholarship, send a copy of your class registration with your name, semester information and student ID to:
Medina Electric Cooperative
Attn: Scholarship Coordinator
PO Box 370
Hondo TX 78861
Fax to 830-426-3796
Attn: Scholarship Coordinator
Enroll in a recognized institution of higher education and use the scholarship within 12 months of being awarded the Medina EC scholarship.