Each June, Medina EC sends students on the Government-in-Action Youth Tour, aka "the trip of a lifetime!"
More than 1,500 students from across the country, almost 150 of those being from Texas, take the one week trip to Washington, D.C. Texas students start their trip in Austin to tour the State Capitol before heading to our nation's capital. While in D.C., they will visit museums, Capitol Hill with congressional representatives, Arlington National Cemetery, see a performance at the Kennedy Center, take a Potomac River Dinner Boat Cruise and so much more!
2022 Youth Tour - $500 College Scholarship Available!
Medina EC's Board of Directors has approved sending three high school sophomores and juniors on the 2022 trip! That trip is scheduled to take place June 12-21, 2022.
We will still select 3 winners, and each winner will get a $500 college scholarship. Winners will also attend a Youth Tour day, where they will learn more about their cooperative, have the chance to visit with staff and lawmakers, and be presented with their scholarship.
Applications were due January 7.
If you have questions, contact us at YouthTour@MedinaEC.org.
Applications were due January 7, 2022*.
* Technical support will not be available outside of normal business hours. Encountering technical issues turning in the application on the last day will not be grounds for an extension.
The contest submission must be an original essay OR video addressing the following topic: If you had the opportunity to change one thing about your school or community, what would it be and why? Additionally, how would you go about making the change?
The submission must meet the following requirements:
- Please cite references used and do not plagiarize or copy work. Follow the MLA style.
- Submission size cannot exceed 50 MB.
- All submissions are judged anonymously. Please be sure your name is not used, and please be sure you do not appear in the video.
- Essay submission must be between 300-500 words, typed and double-spaced. Formats accepted: Adobe PDF (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx).
- A video submission must be a maximum of 2 minutes. Include a brief written description of the video. Formats accepted: For video - .mpeg, .wmv, .mp4, or .avi; For video description and source citing: Adobe PDF (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx).
High school sophomores and juniors whose parent or legal guardian is a member of Medina EC are eligible for the trip.
Medina EC pays for all travel expenses including airfare, hotel and food. However, most students like to bring additional money for spending on souvenirs.
Not only is this a great resumé builder, you will meet new friends, learn how our government works, and more. Medina EC's Youth Tour participants also receive $500 scholarships when they graduate from high school!
The entries will be scored by an independent judge.
One student from each of the three voting districts will receive this trip and scholarship. If an application that meets eligibility is not received from one of the voting districts, then the next highest scoring student from one of the other voting districts will receive the trip.
Medina EC reserves the right to select another contestant for the Youth Tour trip if a winner is found to be a poor representative of the program and the cooperative.