Operation Round Up
Operation Round Up (ORU) is a program which helps Medina EC members give back to worthy causes. Since inception in 2006, ORU has awarded just shy of $109,000*. In 2016 alone, they awarded $18,680.
This voluntary program is simple. Participating members ask Medina EC to round their monthly electric bills up to the next whole dollar. The spare change goes into the ORU fund. For example, a bill for $63.74 would be rounded up to $64.00 and 26 cents would be donated to the ORU program. Annually, the average participating member contributes approximately $6.00 to the program.
Individuals and organizations that need assistance can apply to receive funds from ORU. You do not need to be a member of Medina EC but you must live in or offer services within the 17 counties Medina EC serves. ORU has helped members with medical bills, helped organizations better our communities, and helped individuals better their lives.
There are many ways to sign your account up for the ORU program:
- Sign Up Online
- Fill out the ORU Sign-Up Form and mail it in with your next bill or bring it to one of our area offices
- Contact us at 1-866-MEC-ELEC (632-3532)
- Email us at MyCoop@MedinaEC.org.
To make a one time donation to the ORU program, make your check payable to Operation Round Up and mail it to Medina Electric Cooperative, Attn: ORU Fund, PO Box 370, Hondo, TX 78861. Please note that donations to ORU are not tax deductible.
Grants Through ORU
Individuals, organizations and families can apply to receive ORU funds by submitting a complete application.
2017 Application Deadlines: February 3, May 5, August 4 and November 3
The ORU Trust Committee, made up of volunteer members who represent all voting districts, determines the distribution of funds. The committee meets four times a year and distributes funds based on applicants and funds available. To volunteer for the committee, e-mail us at MyCoop@MedinaEC.org.
Here are donations that were made in March 2017 through the ORU program:
- Santa Teresita Community Center (Laredo) - $500
- Belinda A. Gonzales (D'Hanis) - $500
- Hadley & Connie Stuart (Hondo) - $1,000
- Bailey Massey (Uvalde) - $1,000
- Leonel & Linda Lira (Mirando City) - $500
- Eduardo & Laura Cavazos (Pearsall) - $500
- Texas Ramp Project (Medina, Frio & Atascosa counties) - $1,000
- Jessie McFarlen (Sabinal) - $350
*as of 4/2017