1. Parent, legal guardian or applicant must be a member of Medina EC (i.e. electric account must be in their name).
- If relationship is anything other than parent or self, paperwork may be required showing that the member is the legal guardian of the applicant.
- If the membership is held by a non-natural person or entity, the designated voter or his/her dependent(s) are eligible.
2. Applicant must be a high school sophomore or junior (including home-schooled) during the 2020-2021 school year.
3. Applicant must be able to participate in the Youth Tour trip from June 13-22, and must attend Youth Tour Day in March with at least one parent/legal guardian. This will occur at one of Medina EC’s area offices.
4. Must be able to ride in a bus for several hours in a single day and fly in an airplane.
5. Must be willing to promote the trip in ways deemed necessary by the cooperative, including but not limited to, being videoed and speaking publicly regarding the trip.
6. Must have a State of Texas issued driver’s license or ID.
7. Prior winners of the Medina EC Youth Tour contest are not eligible to win.
1) Deadline: Application, essay or video, and photo must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 8.
2) The application must be submitted online and includes submitting a recent, color photograph. If chosen as a winner, this photograph is what is printed in all promotional material so please be sure it is an appropriate, unfiltered photo.
3) The contest submission must be an original essay OR video addressing the following topic: If you had the opportunity to change one thing about your school or community, what would it be and why? Additionally, how would you go about making the change? The submission must meet the following requirements.
For either the essay OR video submission:
- Please cite references used and do not plagiarize or copy work. Follow the MLA style.
- Submission size cannot exceed 50 MB.
- All submissions are judged anonymously. Please be sure your name is not used, and please be sure you do not appear in the video.
- Essay submission must be between 300-500 words, typed and double-spaced. Formats accepted: Adobe PDF (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx).
- A video submission must be a maximum of 2 minutes. Include a brief written description of the video. Formats accepted: For video - .mpeg, .wmv, .mp4, or .avi; For video description and source citing: Adobe PDF (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx).
Judging and Notification
1) The entries will be scored by an independent judge.
2) One student from each of the three voting districts will receive this trip and scholarship. If an application that meets eligibility is not received from one of the voting districts, then the next highest scoring student from one of the other voting districts will receive the trip.
Medina EC reserves the right to select another contestant for the Youth Tour trip if a winner is found to be a poor representative of the program and the cooperative.