CONSERVATION REQUESTED, 8/15, 8/13
ERCOT has issued an emergency alert as of 3:11 p.m. on 8/15, and is requesting conservation. ERCOT issued the same level of emergency alert at 3:25 p.m. on 8/13. To try to conserve electricity, ERCOT will begin shutting off power to large commercial and industrial businesses who have previous agreements with them.
At this time, homes and small businesses will not be impacted. However, if shutting off power to large loads is not enough to relieve the strain on the state grid, rotating outages will be implemented.
All consumers are asked to help by conserving electricity, especially between the hours of 3-7 p.m.
- Turn up your thermostat 2-3 degrees from 3 to 7 p.m.; set thermostats higher when no one is home.
- If home, use fans to feel 4-6 degrees cooler.
- Set pool pumps to run early morning or overnight; shut off from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid using large appliances, especially during the hours specified.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.